RE: [RC] mentors - Carol Stiles

Steve wrote, "Take a look at the Ride & Tie website for how they deal with mentoring.
Maybe AERC or Endurance Net can do something similar. Ride and Tie's
mentoring program has been pretty successful. You may want to talk to
Curt Riffle or Carol Ruprecht about it."
See:
http://www.rideandtie.org
Steve Shaw

AERC actually does have a mentoring program. There is a list of people willing to mentor on the AERC website. In addition as others have pointed out at every ride meeting the night before a ride, if someone new is looking for someone to ride with, all they have to do is tell the Ride manager and they will announce it usually at the end of the meeting and set you up with someone. All you have to do is ask.
 I remember my first endurance ride on my horse Beau, he was rearing up so much I couldn't even get on him, even with my late husband, who was 6'5" holding him. My husband was begging me not to ride when one of the last riders to leave camp, Karlon Oliver walked by. She saw my horse acting like a fire- breathing dragon and said, " I use to have a horse just like him , park your horse behind mine and let's go." And I've been riding with her ever since. Karlon is really a special person, but there are people at every ride willing to let a newbie ride with them. : ) Carol