[RC] Who REALLY knows ? - Catfish Daniels

Got myself a GPS not too long ago and did a bit of "study". First off, I'm not a big gadget fan at all, but...this GPS is awsome!! Anyway, the study I did was simple. I went to all my riding buddies and rode with them. For as long as I knew them, they all talked about how far they rode (Some are trail riders, others participate in endurance rides). When I actually rode with them, would you believe that some of them were off by as much as 15 miles per training ride?

Yes, some which claimed to have a 30 mile "long-ride", only clocked in at a little over 14 miles. Some that thought they were doing close to 10 mile rides/loops, were only doing about 4-6 miles. They were absolutely shocked at the discovery. Guess I should become a sales rep for the GPS company, ha!!! Anyways, just wondered how many people REALLY know how far they're riding.

As this GPS also gives you the exact pace, I also discovered that at a brisk walk, I can walk as fast as my horse's walking pace. Now I know that when I slow him down to a walk durinig an endurance ride, I might as well get off him without losing time and yet rejuvenating him by getting off his back. Who'da thunk....

I learned that my 15 hand mare trots an entire 2 mph faster in her normal working trot than my 15.3 Geldinig, and that her walk is an entire 1mph faster. All this time I could have sworn that he was way superior than her when it came to strides/pace. Who'da thunk...

As it gives you accumulative mileage and average speeds per entire workout session, it got me to alter my workout log and workout routine. Guess I could tip my Aussie-hat to modern technology.

Catfish

Take advantage of our best MSN Dial-up offer of the year ? six months @$9.95/month. Sign up now! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup