Re: [RC] New Rider Proposal - GoTory

Perhaps it is BECAUSE Howard has had some very close calls that he feels so
strongly about this, and is trying to prevent/protect others who are as new- or
newer- to distance riding from making similar mistakes...  He has been open
with Ridecamp about the problems he has had, and has not made excuses for them.
In doing so, he has exposed himself to ridicule and some pretty nasty
comments.

Passion- for our horses and our rides- is, I think, the greatest part of the
essence of endurance. Many here exemplify that passion.
And I believe education is the key to keeping more horses and the sport safe.

But riders need to know *first* that they *need* to be educated to the
nuances and subtleties of distance riding that aren't part of trail riding or
show
ring practise.
Posts by riders who have had problems- whether the riders/horses were novices
or high- mileage- help alert those who are new to issues they may encounter
during competition.  The current focus on horse welfare and the education
available via Endurance News and at the conventions are a wonderful opportunity
for
those of us who continue to seek more knowledge. And will hopefully give
pause for thought to those who may have years but not miles that perhaps there
IS
more to learn...

newbie here myself with few miles, and those were all LD so far, and I would
LOVE to be mentored by many of those who post on RideCamp- especially Howard
and Angie(and Steph and Darolyn and Heidi and Susan and Jonni and Penny and Joe
and Tom(s)and Maryben  and the list could go on and on) - BUT NOT AT THE SAME
RIDE!!!! (think I'd have to wear a suit of armor)
 nikki