RE: [RC] [RC] colic at rides - terry banister

as well as the RUPTURED STOMACHS (which accounts for two this year that I know of).
Terry
"May the Horse be with you"

From: "Steph Teeter" <steph@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   colic at rides
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 09:38:26 -0700

Ok - here's something to think about: I know of at least 5 horses that were
euthanized after developing colic during a ride in the past two seasons.
(there may have been more, but I am personally sure of these 5 - one of them
was at my September ride, two were at the Cow Tanks ride last year, and one
was at another Idaho ride last year). and I think the PAC fatality also fits
into this category . These horses became colicy during, or after the ride,
did not respond to treatment, and were eventually euthanized either at the
ride site, or after being transported to a clinic. The horse at my ride was
transported to a clinic and was euthanized - it had a twist or impaction
(obvious from palpation), the horse at last year's Idaho ride had a gut
twist, the Cow Tanks horses were necropsied - twisted gut.

Were these horses ridden beyond their capability? Not necessarily. One of
them (at my ride) finished the ride meeting all veterinary criteria, and the
rider card had A's & B's for all parameters. There was not even a problem
with the gut sounds during the ride (more than one vet evaluated the horse
during the day).

There are very very few horses in AERC rides that actually have metabolic
failure resulting in death. i.e. the classic 'ridden to death' - this just
doesn't generally happen in this sport any more.

Most of the fatalities are euthanizations due to colic (inoperable, or
declining surgery) or to freak accidents - broken legs, falling off cliffs,
etc.

Obviously we can't prevent freak accidents.

Can we predict or prevent horses colicing? Do we have any idea why they
colic? (impaction? gas? jiggled intestines??) This question has me
wondering...

Steph

Wonder if the latest virus has gotten to your computer? Find out. Run the FREE McAfee online computer scan! http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963