[RC] Mares vs. Geldings - Beth Bennett

I will admit to my bias here right off. I will also admit to my lack of diversity in what I have ridden endurance right off. My first horse was a green, Arabian, mare. I had never had any riding lessons or any horse experience short of riding my cousins' horses on summer trips to their house.

Needless to say, with the combination of "green" "Arabian" and "Mare" some folks would shriek at the thought. We spent 4 years doing 20 meter circles, serpentines, and figure 8's in a dressage arena and at least three times a week she would pile me.

It turns out that she was bored out of her mind. Once I started doing endurance with her, all attitude she had ever given me immediately turned into "down-the-trail" excitement and energy. Not ONCE since we have started endurance has she piled me (intentionally).

Hoping my husband doesn't read this post. . . I would take her as an endrance horse ANY DAY over his very quiet, very nice Kaharaty son. She is more sensible in that she won't let me over-ride her. She paces herself very well, and she by no means is a snail. She takes excellent care of herself out on the trail. We only have a little over 500 miles and the highest we have ever finished in the pack is in the top 1/3rd. I, however, am a conservative rider--she certainly has the ability to do much better. The slowest she has ever pulsed down was 7 minutes. She has become a wonderful partner and I just can't imagine riding another horse.

She is having some time off right now because I am in nursing school and she is bred to foal a Zane Grey baby in late April. (I'm praying for a filly!!)

Beth Bennett and Paanache
SE Region
Chickamauga, Georgia

Our best dial-up offer is back. Get MSN Dial-up Internet Service for 6 months @ $9.95/month now! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup