RE: [RC] New Riders - Carol Stiles

Jennifer wrote:
"Actually, I think that yes the rider should still be forced to go slow.  Just because a horse is experienced does not mean it is conditioned appropriately for that event.  What you are saying is the horse is responsible.  It doesn't fit with the concern for horses welfare." IMH

No, I am not saying the horse is responsible. Actually what I said was," A lot of new riders buy horses that are experienced endurance horses that are already in condition and have already done several endurance rides." Maybe you didn't see the part about being already 'in condition'. I don't think most people spend thousands of dollars on a horse to purposely go out and abuse them. I think the ones being abused the most would be the leased horses that somebody with no emotional attachment to rent for a ride and then runs the whole way. But even then that horse still has to go through the vets checks and will be pulled if they are being over-riden. It would be nice if they were forced to go slow, but that's not going to educate them. Maybe what we should do is have everyone take a written exam on horses vital signs (what's normal and abnormal) , electrolyte usage, and warning signs of a horse that is dehydrated, exhausted, etc..when they join AERC, so that they can actually recognize the danger signs of when their horse is in trouble.  Just because someone has X number of years of previous riding experience in a different discipline, doesn't mean they know all the complications that can occur during long distance endurance riding. I think Tom Noll wrote a good post also.
IMHO
Carol