RE: [RC] [RC] [RC] Come when they are called? - Laurie Durgin

Like I said, I call "Dinner" and they usually come running. Pigs of course, lately they look like his horses too. But I also have them traine dto know what 'carrots ' mean. When I fell off , in that saddle slippage thing with Honey , even though she was creening wildly in circles (the safety stirrup flying off didn't help add to the comotion to the sideways saddle monster either). She only stopped when I called "carrots!!!" and then I could her.
Course then when I finally rode her again last week, whe almost freaked when i started to dismount. Great Then I felt the "fear monster " too. I decide not to get off , but do more gives to the bit, backing, and other slow work till she calmed, but then when I did dismount she was really tense. Great, more mounting dismouting work. Not like I didn't do it hundreds of times last year , till she was calmed. Days like that make mt think she really is too much for me and I should sell or trade her for a horse for my husband and just keep Rascal and Scout for me. Ya know , horses that dont' jump when you throw the winter blankets over the stall divider for the 4th year? The 2 yr Old Scout, half arab makes her look like a frantic filly, >sigh< Cold rain, yuuucchhh. . . ON a positive note, Rascal is galloping in the ring,(they snuck up while I was puttting a round bale out, stinkers, now I have to chase them out with sticks, and they like to play "dodge the Mom" and run in circle snorting, doubling back to find the few tufts of grass around the edges of the arena). doing that arab head toss thing as he spins. Improving consistantly, only holding off serious work till spring. He will get ring work as weather allows, but looking like a full recovery is quite probable. My bad weather does make us ramble on. . . . Laurie

From: rides2far@xxxxxxxx
To: ladurgin@xxxxxxx
CC: katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RC]   [RC] Come when they are called?
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 19:37:51 GMT

Yeah, but have you seen how fat they are? They've got a *reason* to come. They *know* they're not headed out for a training ride. >g<

I feed my friend's ex-endurance horse every day and when I call him he's always come in at a dead gallop. He hadn't been ridden in several years but my daughter Bonnie got him out 2 weeks ago and we did several rides in one week. After that when I came to feed he looked up, thought a while, and finally came in *very* slowly.

Angie

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!

Cell phone ?switch? rules are taking effect ? find out more here. http://special.msn.com/msnbc/consumeradvocate.armx