RE: [RC] [RC] New Riders - proposals - Mike Sofen

I really applaud the efforts at having a discussion about this.  Every single one of us was a new rider once, and we all made mistakes or did things we'd like to do over.

However, a thought keeps running through my head - it is impossible to legislate morality.  And to me, that's what this boils down to.

We're not talking about accidents here, we're talking about a rider (newbie or not) - either consciously or unconsciously/unknowingly - pushing their horse too hard.  If they do it and their horse dies, that's pretty black and white.  What about the horses that "survive" the event but are permanently damaged to the extent they can no longer compete or even walk without pain?

The prohibition against drinking didn't cure the desire to drink, and creating rules that attempt to confine a behavior against a huge canvas of possible outcomes won't cure the desire for speed in some riders, because the penalties simply are not high enough.

I am a firm believer in preloading a behavior or event for success.  In this case, a really good driver's education course (or two) prior to competing in their first event might be enough.  I think we have enough sanctioning rules for inappropriate behaviors.  They cannot eliminate horse deaths, although I think they are keeping them in check.

Mike Sofen
Santa Cruz, CA