[RC] New Riders - proposals & SERA Convention - Truman Prevatt

Part of the program for the SERA convention this year is an open panel discussion of the horse welfare issues. The panel will be two of the best vets you will find anywhere. There will also be at least two and hopefully three AERC board members at the convention for discussion on this issue and whatever proposals are on the table.

I urge all to atend. You don't to live in the SE region to be a SERA member. We have several members in both the NE and MW regions.

Details are below:

The SERA convention is being held this year on January 17, 2004 in Anniston, AL.  It is being held at the Best Western Anniston/Oxford, US Hwy 78 at AL Hwy 21 South, Oxford AL. The phone number is 1-877-888-6654 (toll free) or 256-831-3410. The fax number is 256-831-9560. Mention the SERA convention.

The room rate is $56.00 plus tax per night. Dinner buffet is $17.34 including tax and tip for adults and $5.00 for kids.

Directions: Take Exit 185 off of I-20 and it's right at the exit to the north of the expressway, next to Applebees.

Truman

Steph Teeter wrote:

The difficulty in finding 'A solution' to the problem of protecting the health of the horse in our sport, is that there are so many factors - so many different causes. Sometimes inexperience can lead to problems - bad judgement or simply not understanding what is happening. Sometimes experienced riders can make mistakes - again - through bad judgement or ignorance.

Some folks are trying to come up with ideas to help  - e.g. Mackey-Smith's proposal, the Horse Welfare committee's proposals, let's very carefully consider them all - some may work, some won't, some may just need a little tweaking to get them right. There are some that say we don't need new or different rules, just more aggressive education. This may be true too, though it is an awfully optomistic view of a competitive sport!

I think we should definitely be proud of ourselves - and proud of our sport - for the controls already in place, and the attitude that most have regarding concern for the horse.

Steph