Re: [RC] teach your horse to come when called - Milinda Ellis

Dawn,

Since you're in East Texas, you probably have a metal
gate.  You can tap on your gate (like we do) and get
them to come up, too.  Beats getting a sore throat --
especially on a windy day like yesterday, when they
probably couldn't have heard you.

We have hills and woods on this place and the ping of
metal on metal (we usually use a pocket knife to tap
on the gate) will carry very far.  The neighbors are
3/4 mile away... past hills and woods, and can hear
it.  Only problem with this method is that when my
husband is working on something in the yard and uses
his chipping hammer, the horses all come running then,
too.  They've gotten a lot of exercise running up to
the gate while he's building my BBQ pits!

I'm working on using a whistle now (since I cannot
whistle, but I do ride with one) to get them to come
to me.  The one I foxhunt already will as she's used
to search out the huntsmans horn...  Sort of reminds
me of how horses learn to follow ribbons on trail.

Milinda Ellis
Beargrass Cleveland Bays
Jewett, Texas

--- RDCARRIE@xxxxxxx wrote:
I've taught ours to come when called, since we moved
to a place with more
acreage...at the old house, they were always within
sight of the barn and house
and came to us whenever they saw us outside.  But
now they can go over the hill
to the back of the pasture.  I just holler, "Hey
ponies, c'mon ponies!" and
clap my hands, and all 6 come running.  Of course,
sometimes when it's cool and
breezy, they decide they're having so much fun
running that they have to make
a few laps around the front pasture before coming to
me!  <G>

Dawn in East Texas

http://photos.yahoo.com/