[RC] Horse "holiday" - Truman Prevatt

There are some intersting things in the AERA rules. Of of the more interesting and one I think the logbooks are directed toward is the ability of the AERA to give the horse a "holiday" or vaction as would we say in the States. Thinking about this, it's a good solid concept and may be something we should consider.

However, some of the things such as thier formal log book system would require a significant change to implement and would probably require Stewards to manage. While I like the idea on paper, I'm not sure we need to go that far yet. The log books are also to satisify a regulatory requirement placed on the AERA by the government. We don't have a formal regulatory process to respond to so a formal log book system like used by the AERA seems like over kill.

Instead of concentrating on the rider - concentrate on the horse. Instead of giving the rider a sanction, suspension, etc. - give the horse a vacation to rest and recover. The horse is the one doing all the work and the horse is the one at risk and it's the horses welfare the AERC should be concerned with so in those conditions where a horse needs a vacation to recover - give it one.

Some cases that might call for a vacation for a horse is when in the head vets opinion fluids need to be given - indpendent if they are given or not. That should remove the temptation of a rider to try to squeek by. If the rider hides a problem from the vet and the horse later crashes and it can be proved that the rider hid the condition from the vet, that can be dealt with through the protest process just as it would be today.

Other cases might be when a horse requries more than one treatment (of any type) in a 6 month period.

This approach seems to be more positive (looking out for the long term well being of the horse) than directing actions toward a rider. It will also minimize the problems caused when some unknown preexisting condition contributes to a crash. A horse with a preexisting condition that crashes needs a vacation to get over whatever is bothering him.

This would eliminate additional stress on the rider associated with some sort of manadatory sanction process. If the rider was aware of the condition then the normal protest process is still available.

The more I think about the horse holiday concept the more I like it and would urge the HWC committee to seriously consider the concept.

Truman