[RC] Accountability - Howard Bramhall

I've been reading the Aussie's endurance rule books.  They have their rules broken down, on line, into Horse, Rider and Member Categories.  The following is what they have put down in writing, concerning Horse Welfare, from their Horse Handbook:

H.2. HORSE WELFARE
2.1. The AERA Inc. adopts the following horse welfare Code of Conduct to promote the well-being of horses:
a) The needs of the horse are paramount.
b) The well-being of the horse is above the demands of riders, owners, sponsors, breeders, ride organisers and officials.
c) All veterinary inspections and treatments must ensure the health and welfare of the horse.
d) The highest standards of nutrition, health, sanitation, and safety shall be encouraged and maintained at all times.
e) Adequate provision must be made for ventilation, feeding, watering and the maintenance of a healthy environment during transportation.
f) Emphasis should be placed on education in equestrian practice and health.
g) In the interest of the horse, the fitness and competence of the rider shall be regarded as essential.
h) All horse training and riding methods must take into account the horse as a living entity and will not include any technique considered by the AERA Inc. to be abusive.
i) The AERA Inc. will maintain adequate controls in order that all persons and bodies under the jurisdiction of the AERA Inc. respect the health and welfare of the horse.
j) National and international rules regarding the health and welfare of the horse must be adhered to.
k) The rules of the AERA Inc. will be continually reviewed to ensure such horse welfare ensues.

The needs of the horse are paramount; their well-being is above the demands of riders, owners, sponsors, breeders, ride organizers and officials; all horse training and riding methods must take into the account the horse as a living entity and will not include any technique considered to be abusive; adequate controls will be maintained in order that all persons and bodies respect the health and welfare of the horse.  Beautifully written, well thought out.  Who could possibly ask for more?

Each day this week I will try and paste something from their rules that might hit home.  Right now, I?m trying to understand their use of log books.  They seem to have a log book for the horse and a separate one for the rider.  There is no doubt that they hold the rider strictly accountable for their actions during a ride.  They have a Novice Category, for the rider (each and every rider must start out in the Novice Category and successfully complete three rides before moving up to the Endurance Category), and if too many points (demerits) are accumulated that rider is knocked back down to the Novice category. Serious infractions are handled separately.  You don't just show up to a ride and are considered an Endurance Rider.  You have to earn that title.

What interests me about the horse log books is accountability.  I, also, have a hypothesis.  We now know that we have lost ten horses this year during endurance competition.  I really don't know how many of those ten deaths were metabolic, or accidental.  My hypothesis is, for each one of those deaths, there are two to three that we do not know about.  Horses that died a day, two days, a week, or even a month after competing in an endurance ride.

John Parke mentioned this during the meeting at the convention last year when the Welfare of the Horse Committee became a reality.  My contention is that these Horse Log books, distributed by each Region, will keep track of each and every endurance horse that has one.  Riders will not be able to hide the fact that their horse died after an endurance ride because the log books will account for each and every one.  I'll try and cover this idea more thoroughly later.

Please, take the time to review what they have done down under.  Yes, it is a drastic change from where we are now and I realize that it would completely revamp American endurance, as we now know it, if we were to go in that direction.  The one thing that you might notice, as you go through the separate rule books, is they do a much better job at accounting; keeping track of what happens at each and every ride they sanction.  Their riders know up front, from day one, that this is a serious sport and that their actions are going to be recorded.  The good, the bad, and, the ugly.

I only ask that you take a good look at it.

cya,
Howard (Happy Holidays, btw)