Re: [RC] Selenium again - Heidi Smith

Whole blood analysis is what my vet has done (at >Cornell, except for the
time their equipment was on the >fritz and it went to Michigan).

Yup, I stand corrected.  My copy of Diagnostic Techniques in Equine
Medicine
says whole (heparinized) blood, not serum.

FWIW, it also says it takes about 5-6 weeks for changes in selenium uptake
to be evident via blood tests.  I'm assuming that refers mostly to oral
supplementation, prolly not so much via IM injections, but don't know for
sure.

I had the opportunity to run serial tests on about 40 purebred Red Angus
calves several years ago, all of which were out of cows that had not had
prenatal selenium, and all of which had an injection of Bo-Se within 24
hours of birth.  In that group, I found that the maximum level of whole
blood selenium occurred at about 2 weeks post-injection, and then declined
gradually over the next 4 weeks until by 6 weeks, they were just as
deficient as the herd baseline.

I do suspect that oral supplementation takes longer.  I've  tested several
horses over the space of several months that were REALLY deficient, many
never did get any increase in selenium level from oral supplementation.  But
once given an injectable dose to get the levels up to some degree, they
would be able to maintain just fine on oral supplementation.  Just my own
theory--absolutely no testing done to substantiate this--given the role that
selenium plays in cell membrane function in other types of body cells, I
suspect that the EXTREMELY deficient horse has sufficiently poor absorptive
capacity in the GI tract that he CAN'T absorb the selenium that is there,
even when it is present in the diet in "adequate" amounts.  Perhaps
megadosing would have worked, but I wasn't brave enough to try that.

Heidi

Heidi