Re: [RC] [AERC-Members] HRM at Vet Check Poll - Truman Prevatt

I would like to see this proposal discussed and refined by the BOD to flush out the "bomblets" to see if it makes sense.

There is not just one race going on. There are 5 or maybe 6 going on. One can finish first in their weight division without finishing "top 10." One can be first Jr. without being top 10. The first MW might be 15th that day but they are still racing so yes it not just the top 10 that this will effect.

Many times a rider doesn't know he is racing that day till maybe the last check. If his horse is on and he happens to find himself in position for a good placement, then he might decide to go for it on the last loop.

I think the concept is a good one and should be explored but all the consequences should be identified up front and dealt with so there are no surprises. I would suspect at most cases if you apply this only after 20 miles into the ride, it would be a more than adequate and by that time the riders should be spread sufficiently that many of the potential problems would not be an issue.

Truman

Joe Long wrote:

These are some of the questions that have caused me to withold
judgement on Matthew's idea.  It's one of those ideas that, when you
first look at it, makes you think "Hey, that's a great idea!"  But
then the longer you consider it, the more little "bomblets" like this
appear.  There could be all kinds of unintended consequences from this
approach.