Re: [RC] [AERC-Members] HRM at Vet Check Poll - Joe Long

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 22:20:16 -0700, "Bob Morris" <bobmorris@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:

So in fact you would have two rides being held concurrently over the same
course and under the same rules except for pulse recovery time. This give
thought to a few questions; if there are fewer than 10 riders declaring for
the "race" category, what happens to the points? If you declare for the
"complete" category and find that you are in the top runners can you
"upgrade" to the "race" category?

These are some of the questions that have caused me to withold
judgement on Matthew's idea.  It's one of those ideas that, when you
first look at it, makes you think "Hey, that's a great idea!"  But
then the longer you consider it, the more little "bomblets" like this
appear.  There could be all kinds of unintended consequences from this
approach.

I also think it's at least partly based on a false premise, that it is
the folks running for Top Ten who get their horses into metabolic
trouble.  I have not seen any evidence that the Top Ten riders have
any higher incidence of metabolic problems than the rest of the field,
and in fact I suspect it is the other way 'round.  But then, most of
the folks running for Top Ten won't have any problem meeting the 15
minute recovery, and those that do are the ones who do need to slow
down.  So it may be a good way to go, if the issues like the ones you
raised can be worked out.

If we try something like this, I think we should do so the way other
improvements have been tried (such as the CRI):  at a few selected
rides to see how it actually works in practice, before even thinking
about mandating it for all AERC rides.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx