[RC] Accident prone horse--long - DESERTRYDR1

My Anglo-Arab mare hurt herself AGAIN last week.  She kicked through a fence
that was made of cables strung about 15" apart through railroad ties, and
ended up getting her whole hind leg, up to the udder, through the cables.
Removed
lots of skin getting herself out, like maybe a couple square feet.  There
doesn't seem to be anything deep, but like road rash from falling off a
motorcycle in a t-shirt, she's burned all up and down the leg, and under neath
where
the leg joins to the body.  Happened last Friday morning (the 14th) and I put
her in a stall with a blanket and Bute for several days.  She looked pretty
good
when I was last out there (I board), which was Sunday nite.  I have had the
flu all week, and haven't had the energy to get out of the house.  The people
who are taking care of her stopped giving her the bute on about Tuesday, by my
instruction.

I went out last nite (the 21st) and she looked AWFUL.  She would barely walk,
and seemed lame both front and rear, although it's hard to tell when the
horse won't trot out.  She was short striding on one front and also behind.
The
scrapes are to the point where the surface scabs are peeling off to reveal pink
skin underneath, and the deeper scabs are breaking up and pulling off in some
places and still bleeding.  The worst hind leg (the right) is still swollen,
but there are no obvious signs (like oozing pus) of infection.  In the past,
any scrapes to the lower leg have caused the leg to swell almost until the
scrapes healed, so I wasn't very worried about the swelling.  I honestly
haven't
taken her to the vet for a lameness exam mainly because I don't think the vet
could tell much at this point, due to the surface scrapes and her general
reluctance to move.  She's a real wuss when it comes to pain, just trying to
hose
her off and spray antibiotic/enzyme stuff on it has NOT been fun.  She looked
so bad last nite that I had the stable owners put her back on bute, she would
be more comfortable, move around a bit more, and hopefully not be so stiff.

My questions are two:
   1.  At what point can I really expect the skin to heal enough so that
taking her      to the vet will show if she's lame due to tendon/ligament
injuries?

   2.  Has anyone had much luck campaigning an accident prone horse in
       endurance?  This is the fourth time this year that I have had her
down due to         an injury.  She tore a suspensory in Feb by getting her
foot
hung up in a loop        of wire and pulling back, she pulled a pipe out of
the crosstie and ran around        with that banging into her for a couple
minutes (mostly scrapes and bruises),         she ran in the pasture and
"sprained"
her ankle (some fairly lowgrade soft            tissue damage, like a
ligament in the fetlack/pastern area) and now this.

This mare is my favorite riding horse.  She is smooth, broke to death with an
occasional attitude just for fun, nine years old.  I raised her from birth,
and she has had a fair number of these kinds of boo-boos over the years.  She
has done about 250 miles of LD, then two slow 50's last year.  I have had high
hopes since she was born that she would be THE ONE.  But all these injuries
have got me concerned that maybe she will not make an endurance horse.  She has
had Dressage lessons, and would probably have a fine career at least up to 3rd
or 4th level, as she is a nice mover.  But I don't want to show, I want to do
endurance.

The other question I have is does anyone have experience with breeding an
accident prone horse, and how did the baby turn out.  The Arab mare this girl
is
out of has only had one incident, where she was put in a pasture with two
geldings and run into a barbed wire fence (live and learn), so I don't think
she
gets it from her mom.  Any comments would be appreciated.  jeri