[RC] Trailer almost accident - Agilbxr

We were out riding today, and had hauled out to the Ravines here in North Florida for what was truely a pleasant ride.  The weather was beautiful, I was riding my finally sound horse who I might add was feeling good, and bucking to prove it (yeah!).  We did a very slow 7ish miles of walk/trot (or the paso equivalent of that) and then we headed home.

We were about half way home, when a gentleman (aka guardian angel) in a pick up truck pulled up beside us, honked, and shouted that our trailer brakes were smoking. We pulled over in a strip mall parking lot to see what was going on, and it was there that we starting saying thank you to the diety who sent that guarding angel in a pick up truck.  It seems the bearings on one of our trailer tires had blown out, and it was actually the tire that was smoking.  As we stopped, we heard the pop of the trailer tire breaking off and the axel hitting the ground.  If this had happened at 45mph, the trailer would have flipped.

The moral of this story is have your tires checked.   We try to have the bearings re-packed every year or so, but I think I may have to increase that to twice a year just 'cuz.  Thankfully, a friend came and retrieved the horses and took them home, and we had to have the trailer towed (that was interesting considering one axel was hitting the ground, and they had to remove it to tow the trailer).  It's at the repair shop awaiting a new axel, and some other servicing now.  I'm not looking forward to that repair bill, but rather that than two damaged horses, if not dead horses.

Oh, and that tendon injury that my vet told me Alpine had, well lets just say the gravel blew out his coronet band 3 days ago.  He's been sound for three weeks or so, I always thought they went sound after the gravel blew.  Hmmm....  I need a new vet I think.

Juli and Alpine