Re: [Fwd: Re: [RC] New Poll up] - Heidi Smith

>Ten to twenty per cent is not as far fetched as you may think.  The horse does not have to be hooked up to an IV bottle for it to be in trouble.  Take a good look at our rides and their completion rates before you go and say I'm totally whacked out here.

Howard, the whole point of PULLING the horse is to eliminate him from competition BEFORE he is in trouble.  Most of the time we manage to get that done.  I'll trust Bob's figure of 2.5% metabolic pulls.  Most of those pulls occur BEFORE the horse is damaged.  The tools we have developed over the years have helped us to do that.  And despite detractors who think that "nobody did anything back then" I'd submit that we DO catch most horses before they are truly "in trouble."  What we need to be discussing here is the further honing of our skills and the further addition of "tools" so to speak, to enable us to also catch the ones that we still miss.

At the risk of making this personal, are you perhaps misled here from personal experience, wherein 10 to 20% of the time the horse YOU are riding is getting into trouble?  From the stories you've shared, I sometimes wonder.

From what I've seen, the majority of pulled horses come back to run another day.  That's the whole point of pulling them in the first place--to protect them and to safeguard their welfare.  The fact that they return and complete successfully is a sign that by pulling them, we've done that in most cases.  And it also suggests that in most cases, we pull them in time.  To suggest that the pull rate equates to horses in trouble just simply doesn't wash.

I'll say it one more time--we need to look realistically at defining the problem, and blowing it all out of proportion with emotional rhetoric actually gets in the way of doing that, instead of helping.  Instead of blowing up the numbers, Howard, can you instead say something constructive about either how we might possibly detect the horses in trouble that we are not currently detecting, or how we can better prepare horses so that they are less apt to get into trouble?  Or perhaps how we can identify horses and/or riders that pose a risk?  The discussion about Matthew's pulse concept at least got a new idea on the table, with some possible merit.  But once again, instead of discussing the pros and cons of such a proposal, the discussion has been dragged back to emoting.  I'd far rather spend my time looking for and discussing possible solutions than listening to inflamatory rhetoric that accomplishes nothing.

My thanks to those who chose to discuss a possible alternative these past few days instead of simply trying to thrash the very people who are out there working hard to find solutions.

Heidi