Re: [RC] Where to start/tools - DVeritas

In a message dated 11/20/2003 9:16:05 PM Mountain Standard Time, penelope_75647@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I just can't mimic the conditions at
training/conditioning rides that take place during an
actual endurance ride. At home my horse is sane...vaccums
up everything in sight.... drinks like a fish within the
first 10 miles and will tell me when he's tired. At a ride
he is waaaay pumped up (sometimes he litterally shakes just
standing cuz he's so excited). He dosn't drink until mile
15-20...won't eat out on the trail if he even thinks there
is another horse he needs to catch up to...and rarely acts
tired.. On training rides he conserves energy by being a
thinking horse and works with me...at an endurance ride he
will waste alot of energy by being a reactive horse, his
thinking brain dosn't engage until well into the ride.
    Experienced endurance riders preach, "Ride at endurance rides the same way you condition for them....speed and intensity, etc."
    BUT, the STRESS of an endurance ride, i.e., long trailer rides, fine muscle fibers twitching while going down the road for hours, strange water, standing tied to trailers, hubbub, inability to focus cause all the pretty horses are there screaming and prancing, etc., then the start of the rides, herd-sweep sweeping through the horses, etc........
     I've found that I actually am more comfortable riding JUST BELOW THE LEVEL AT WHICH I CONDITION....the added stress of being AT an endurance ride, then RIDING at the endurance ride, can factor in without WEIGHING in too much.
    There are folks who ride faster than they condition for, and never pay attention to the additional stressed state of their horses that sneaks in even before the trail is open.
     That can be catastrophic.
     ---Frank