Re: [RC] Where to start/tools - oddfarm

----- Original Message -----
From: "sharp penny" <penelope_75647@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2003 11:15 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Where to start/tools

But Penny, That IS part of the base training I wrote about. That can take
years to establish. Yes, you can use rides as conditioning/training rides.
But, if after a while, things don't change, it may be time to re-evaluate.

I wrote, "How many riders really put in the time to train the way they want
to compete?" (I am saying compete, not just ride.) "And even sometimes when
we do, it is so hard to set a goal, not meet that goal and then go back and
re-evaluate. To back off, or start over, especially if you only have one
horse, but many goals is a hard pill to swallow. Many riders push on,
(they'll do better next time) and so goes the horse."

It is not a theory. It is one of the many things we have to do in order to
get our horses safely across the finish line. Even if you're just going to
ride. I myself am struggling with decisions on competing. A few of my horses
are getting older and one horse doesn't do so well with some of the things
you describe. The training I am describing is for the physical body. That,
you most certainly can mimic while conditioning. The mental part does come
from the trailering, (that is part of my training because I have to trailer
at least an hour to ride) the camping, the other horses, the vet lines. Most
of that can not be duplicated at home. I understand that. I know horses can
make them selves sick over stress, and not just hard work.

However, if you can make the work part seem like a piece of cake at a ride,
the mental part might be a little easier for the horse to take. If not, the
horse might not be cut out for this type of riding. If your horse drinks
like a fish while training, but not at rides, that could mean big trouble.
If that continues after a few rides, why would you keep riding that horse?
If the mental part never improves, no matter how physically fit your horse
is, you could regret bringing your horse to a ride.

We were discussing the things we can do to try and PREVENT crashes. The
horses that are crashing, are competing for the most part. They don't have
to be top ten to be in the running, just running harder than what they
trained for. I am merely suggesting that we look other places besides the
treatment area at a ride. The problems do not start at the ride. Serious
training can weed out horses that are not meant to do endurance. These could
very well be the same horses that are crashing. And just because they are
physically fit, doesn't mean they are mentally fit.

This is the information you will gather in your training rides while
developing your base. If going to an actual ride is still to stressful, then
maybe it is time to stop. Because even if you are going just to ride, and
your horse is that unhappy, you could still end up in the treatment area.

Yes, you can ride a few times a week and if you are a runner, you can run a
few times a week and still go the distance. But you won't do it quickly and
you probably won't feel that great when you are done. Neither will your
horse. Anyone can do that, but if you are PREPARED, you can do it better.

We are talking about all the tools we can use to keep our horses safe and
alive at the rides. Training/condtioning is one of the best tools available.
It makes us better horseman and women, it benefits our horses and could
quite possibly be the key to preventing most crashes. Isn't that what our
discipline is all about? The horse?

Common sense should also be a part of the decision making process. If you
see someone who doesn't have any, hand them your tool box.

Lisa Salas, The Oddf aRM