Re: [RC] Where to start/tools - sharp penny

 Thanks, Frank :D

 This was pretty much what I was tryin' to get across in a
rather round about way... Basically I was trying to say you
really can't guage your horse well until you actually do
endurance rides and use them as conditioning/training tools
to enhance and round out the basic knowledge you've gained
through the *at home* rides.

 As far as the training alone vs training in groups I feel
both are equally important in your *program*. Yes training
alone helps develope that horse/ rider bond, as Truman
mentioned, where your horse learns to depend on you.....
but I sure wouldn't want to do an endurance ride without
having some group training rides under my horses girth,
where I've had the opportunity work on passing, being
passed and letting the group leave me and my horse
behind.... things you will encounter on an endurance ride,
even if you plan and try to ride alone.

 I can only speak for myself and my horse but, the more
actual endurance rides I use as training rides the better
my horse becomes. At each endurance ride he gets alittle
better at eating , drinking, listening to me, and begins to
actually use his brain sooner. I can't work on these things
at home rides where the stress level is low and get the
same results and improvements without that "endurance
frenzy".

 Sorry... guess I got a bit sidetracked from the orginal
training program being related to a horse "crashing and
burning" at endurance rides thread.

Regards,
Penny
--- DVeritas@xxxxxxx wrote:
In a message dated 11/20/2003 9:16:05 PM Mountain
Standard Time,
penelope_75647@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I just can't mimic the conditions at
training/conditioning rides that take place during an
actual endurance ride. At home my horse is sane...vaccums
up everything in sight.... drinks like a fish within the
first 10 miles and will tell me when he's tired. At a
ride
he is waaaay pumped up (sometimes he litterally shakes
just
standing cuz he's so excited). He dosn't drink until mile
15-20...won't eat out on the trail if he even thinks
there
is another horse he needs to catch up to...and rarely
acts
tired.. On training rides he conserves energy by being a
thinking horse and works with me...at an endurance ride
he
will waste alot of energy by being a reactive horse, his
thinking brain dosn't engage until well into the ride.
    Experienced endurance riders preach, "Ride at
endurance rides the same
way you condition for them....speed and intensity, etc."
    BUT, the STRESS of an endurance ride, i.e., long
trailer rides, fine
muscle fibers twitching while going down the road for
hours, strange water,
standing tied to trailers, hubbub, inability to focus
cause all the pretty horses
are there screaming and prancing, etc., then the start of
the rides, herd-sweep
sweeping through the horses, etc........
     I've found that I actually am more comfortable
riding JUST BELOW THE
LEVEL AT WHICH I CONDITION....the added stress of being
AT an endurance ride,
then RIDING at the endurance ride, can factor in without
WEIGHING in too much.
    There are folks who ride faster than they condition
for, and never pay
attention to the additional stressed state of their
horses that sneaks in even
before the trail is open.
     That can be catastrophic.
     ---Frank