Re: [RC] [Guest] breeding / German standards - Ridecamp Moderator

Kirsten Seyferth scatris@xxxxxxxxxxx
After reading the different posts on this subject, I just had to jump in and ad my 2 cents. The requirements for getting a horse entered into the studbook or marebook of one of the warmblood registries are extensive, and I believe this isn't just a german invention but you'll find similar procedures in other european countries as well. However (in response to Lynge's provocative but uninformed post), no one is going to stop you from breeding outside of these restrictions, even not in germany, you just won't be able to get any offsprings registered. So the issue is really not whether you can breed whatever your heart desires, it's actually whether an established breed registry with set standards for conformation and performance will except new stock solely based on pedigree.
I recently read a very interesting feature in an Arabian horse magazin in germany. It was discussing the pros and cons of performance testing as a breed requirement, and the fact that amongst all the large breed associations in Germany, the Arabian one is the only one that does not require performance testing, it's only optional at this point. The authors were making a big argument for including performance testing in the selection process. The article included an overview of requirements in the different european countries, which showed that while about half of the countries require conformation evaluations, most have only optional performance tests. Only in Russia, Poland, Hungary and Norway it's mandatory (again, this is for arabians). In some countries, Endurance rides are accepted as perforamnce tests. I.e. in Germany the requirements for the (optional) endurance performance test are that the horse is between 6 and 9, and finishes a certain amount of rides of both over 60km and over 80km at a certain min. speed (mph). Food for thoughts...
Btw, if anyone is intersted in this article, I can probably figure out how to scan it. The whole magazin is actually bi-lingual, german and english, so you don't need to pull out the dictonary. You have to wait though 'til thanksgiving, as I'm off today to old europe :-)

Kirsten Seyferth
in Topanga, Ca