[RC] [Guest] Lost Horses - Ridecamp Moderator

jeanne pepper pepperja@xxxxxxxxx
The fully tacked up lost horse is certainly the worst case because of entanglment problems,but Ali's red saddle cover was what the plane spotted and allowed us to locate him.Split reins are also a good idea & I even bought some that year but haven't yet switched to using them ; there's so much else to get snagged on..hard to prepare for disaster.Another near tradgety occurred when a group of horses escaped during the nite while on a training ride on the Tevis trail.All the horses were quickly recovered,but one.Lari Shea's beloved, "Gabe"was missing for 6 weeks.Many searched on foot,horseback,you name it,airsearch too & no one saw any sign of him.He was finally found on a ledge below the trail,not far from the campsite .He'd eaten every bit of vegetation and if not for a tiny trickle of water coming out of the cliff side would never have survived.The finder said he'd ridden by the spot and thought he heard a nicker but didn't see anything so went back the next day and found the horse and was able to lead him up the slope .Another few days and he would have died.Why he waited so long to make his presence known (many had passed by there day after day for weeks calling his name,)we'll never know.Maybe we'll end up with computer chips we can implant that will track them .For those of us who ride alone it could even help us be located if we got lost while on our horse!But cell phones don't even work where I live so till then I'll hang on & pray!pepper