[RC] Canadian Slaughter - Paddi

Well put Heidi
Canadian slaughter houses are regulated and humane.
The small one in our area closed years ago.
Now horses are hauled to the big one by Fort McLeod Alberta.
 Having done some rescue cases and reported more then my share of abuse I truly believe slaughter is far more humane then the conditions some animals live in.
As long as people continue to over breed so there is an abundance of unwanted horses there will be a need for slaughter houses.
 Most people have never been in a slaughter house so they are blindly taking someone else's opinion as gospel.
Think of it from an endurance point of view. I was at the Tevis crewing a few years ago and saw horses with IVs lined up in the vet area or look at the Manitoba Pan Ams the treatment area was over flowing with horses being treated.
From this I could publish pictures and write how all endurance riders are riding their horses close to death. To the educated endurance rider this would not sit well they know it is not true. To the uninformed public it is true.

The PMU farms are closing because of lost contracts.
What is going to become of these horses. No one can afford to keep a herd of that size with out it producing income.
The saddle horses might find homes, the bucking stock is safe because of the rodeo demand for horses (but wait some group wants to shut down the rodeos as inhumane) but most will go for slaughter. If there is not a humane slaughter house to deal with these horses where should they go???
The transportation of horses to slaughter is where the biggest need to improve is.
It is fine to sit and condemn from a keyboard. But if you aren't part of the solution you are part of the problem.
Like Heidi said closing the slaughter houses will not stop the process it will drive it to places where we will have no control over the conditions.

Food for thought:
 I was told by a friend that her family don't eat meat for humanitarian reasons.
 At the time she was eatting a tuna fish sandwich. I guess trapping a fish in a net and starving of oxygen is a humane way to kill.
Leather gloves, shoes and saddles are a by product of slaughter.
It is all in the way you choose to see things

Happy Trails
Paddi