Re: [RC] Canadian Slaughter or no slaughter - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

It is considered "haram" or forbidden to eat horse or donkey meat in most of the Arab world...anyone surprised? And we have a large population of working equids, so an unwanted riding horse can find a job....BUT, if we are poor enough to have to actually use horsepower instead of just talking about it, then you have to consider the economics of the guys who have horses pulling their carts and wagons. Everyone who's come to Egypt has horror stories of the poor cart horses and donkeys here, and they are the same horror stories that inspired Black Beauty, so they aren't just a "foreign" thing. I've seen horses working with ringbone that would have them put down anywhere else, and scrawny, dirty, hungry donkeys and horses hauling loads that look way too big. But if you look at the guy with them, he doesn't look much better, and you can bet his kids don't.

I love horses, and dogs, and cats, and birds, and fish....and there are lots of them out there in nasty shape. Same thing goes for humans. Sadly, the world really isn't that nice a place when you get right down to it. It's really hard to make those blanket statements that "X must not be allowed because it's inhumane" because so often "not-X" is just as inhumane if not more so. The best you can do is to make each of your personal decisions as ethical and kind as possible and help where you can and when it really is help. I've spent time at the side of a road with a collapsed donkey getting a swallow of water with baby electrolytes in it down its throat while we waited for a truck to take it to Brooke. The donkey didn't make it, but it still wanted that drink.

Maryanne
Cairo, Egypt