Re: [RC] BLM-Adopt a horse program - oddfarm

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hickory Ridge Arabians" <hikryrdg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "List Server"
<AERCMembersForum-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 11:44 PM
Subject: [RC] BLM-Adopt a horse program

After re-reading my posts, I see my comments on the trails issues were not
as clear as my feelings on the sponsorship. But it IS two separate issues.

As far as the raffle goes Jerry, you are right. This is a free country, buy
a ticket or not. I guess I am a little cynical when it comes to using
animals to raise money. Maybe it's the many horses and ponies that have come
through the Odd faRm because they are starved, abused and neglected. Some
made it, some didn't. Maybe it's because of the conditions I have seen
theses horses in when I went to pick them up. Most of them were at large
barns, with lots of people coming and going and no one wanted to report or
"tell" on their neighbor, so the horses suffered in silence. But as long as
AERC gets the money, that is THEE most important part.  And I am pretty darn
sure, that AERC will not take responsibility, if anything God forbid, should
happen to the horses that they raffle off. Because the owner IS ultimately
responsible. RIGHT?
Enough said.

But what I wanted you to comment on Jerry, was this beautiful relationship
on trails issues.

Randy said "I think the new relationship between AERC and the BLM will have
long term
benefit for AERC on issues concerning equine use on federal lands.

I just wanted to know what all was involved in this relationship. I saw the
Ft. Stanton story and volunteers went to clear trails, improve trail heads
and all that. And that is great. I think everyone at one time or another has
done just that in their own neighborhoods, as we should. I think it said we
also donated $3000. And that is fine, also. Many groups raise money and
earmark it for certain trail projects. But was that a volunteer effort all
the way around, or was it a written agreement?

Randy said,
"This is a great opportunity for both
organizations and having the BLM formally associated with AERC may offer
long term benefits to AERC in trail and land use issues, too.
This new proposal from the BLM is the result of an
ongoing recreational trails development project between AERC and the BLM
that Roger has spearheaded.  The current and new trails are guaranteed
for equine recreational use including endurance rides with a 5 year use
permit that rolls over every year....slowly but surely this partnership
is gaining recognition by other BLM districts and has reached the
Washington Office of the BLM, too."

So we are getting a GUARANTEE  to use these trails for 5 years. Wow. That's
impressive. How did that happen? Will members just volunteer to clear trails
etc., or is there a guaranteed donation to the BLM involved over this time
frame? What is this "new proposal" by the BLM?

Randy said,
"The regional AERC/BLM Partnerships
and the new National AERC/BLM Partnership/Sponsorship will lead to far
better relationships and understanding between the BLM Land Managers and
the AERC for use of trails. The Fort Stanton partnership is going to help
promote similar projects in other BLM land management areas because of
the very positive PR that has made its way to Washington."

The " The regional and New National AERC/BLM Partnership/Sponsorship". What
exactly is that? Is it just an exchange of AERC volunteering time and the
BLM donating horses for raffle, (which I understand is really suppose to be
two separate issues) or is it more involved than that? Is AERC guaranteeing
donations to the BLM?  I was under the impression that the sponsorship
"contract" included  an agreement for the trail partnership. And that
confused me because I thought they were two separate issues. I thought the
raffle sponsorship had nothing to do with the trail relationship. That is
what everyone keeps telling me, anyway.

Now Jerry, before you answer, don't think for an instant there is anything
negative in my comments about the trails. I may be cynical here also, but we
ARE dealing with the government. I am all for assuring trails for equestrian
use, but not at any cost. And, as a taxpayer I like to be assured that I am
not paying (donating) for something, that I already paid for.

And while I don't condone how the adoption program operates, I am all for
trying to improve it. But that has to start with the BLM, not AERC. But THAT
IS a separate issue.

Randy's comments imply, at least to me, that AERC and BLM will accomplish
what no one else has. That in itself, is really amazing. Is it really that
simple? Because the government just doesn't normally work that way. What
have we done so different that has put us in such good grace with this
government entity?

Is it a secret?? I tried real hard to find more info in the minutes of
meetings, but I sure couldn't.

Lisa Salas, The Odd Farm