RE: [RC] Attention Newbies, slowbies, etc. - Jonni Jewell

Angie posted:
The object is for the rider to concentrate on learning to know their own
horse, not the competition...just yet. We might be able to pull some people
back who have chosen CT as the place to start their beginning horses if we
have appropriate incentives to grab their interest. <<<

Sitting here thinking on what "goals" I have for my newest horse, and that
part of your post caught my eye. I have always preferred to start the horses
in competitive (NATRC) rides. I Like the over all atmosphere of the rides
better for the horses new to the sport. Because no one is racing, you are
usually not passed as much by quicker horses, all are at basically the same
pace on the trail, and you can easily find a two day ride to attend (which I
am also preferring for the new horses). The other options I have been
looking at are multi day rides, but they are harder to find in many areas. I
like the concept of the horse learning he might have to go again the next
day, as it seems they learn real quick how to take better care of themselves
along the trail. Those long, slow days, spending hours out there seems to
teach them to eat and drink better, and at the multi day rides, in most
cases, the atmosphere is laid back and easy going. (any time the call for
"the trail is open", and all the riders casually walk from camp is good in
my book!)  If I can get my guy relaxed, caring for himself etc. early on,
then him learning to deal with a ride with a race atmosphere is much easier
later on. I tried starting my other horse last year at a LD ride (he had
done 1 NATRC ride previous) . Waited until I thought all the other riders
had left, then casually walked from camp, and about 1/4 mile out, we were
passed at a gallop by a group of riders who were "late". My poor horse, who
had been perfect up until then, went on brain fry. Not what I was wanting to
deal with. The rest of the ride he drank poorly, and learned nothing about
taking care of himself.
My "youngster" will be 7 next year, but had a late start at being saddle br
oke, and though mature in age, physically he still needs his body to
condition to the sport. My gut keeps telling me this horse has the potential
to be real good at this sport, so I want to bring not only his body along
smart, conditioning it properly, but his mind as well. I want this horse to
be able to be my partner on the trail not just for a few years, but
many,many years.
I am not sure what AERC could do as an organization to pull those riders who
prefer starting new horses in CTR's to come to endurance with them instead.
Not sure many of us care enough about incentives or awards on our walls vs.
a horse that will be with us mile after mile, year after year.....

I think this subject is making a few folks think about their horses, and
their goals with them. I hope there are more who are saying to themselves
they want them to still be going down the trail years from now, and take the
steps to make that happen.
Jonni