RE: [RC] Attention Newbies, slowbies, etc. - Lucy Chaplin Trumbull

Do AERC still award embroidered patches for mileage?
250, 500, etc?

Perhaps it could be related to attaining a high vet
score? You get "x" points for every A you get on your
vet card at the finish. And extra special points for
As in attitude. (or course this backfires if you have
a non-demonstrative, comatose-type of horse... <sigh>).

I also agree that if you aren't careful, if you have
people aiming to complete "x" rides *in a row*, you may
get people making bad judgements about pushing their
horses into completing when perhaps they ought to be
erring on the safe side and pulling.

Angie wrote:
> Instead of competing against each other I want them to
> compete against conditions...trails, limitations, all
> the obstacles to getting one started right. The object
> is for the rider to concentrate on learning to know
> their own horse, not the competition...

I guess along those lines this has always been my goal -
to try and finish with the horse in as best shape as
possible. My pleasure at the end of a ride was always
related to how well I thought we'd done as a team - did
the horse finish looking great? did I finish looking
great? (which in the past was a big problem <g>).

And even if things didn't quite go as planned (like Mouse
being dead lame at the end of her first 50 <g>), I could
still focus on the good at that ride - how cheerful she'd
been at the ride, and what promise she'd shown.

The trick is almost to not look at the results, as they
can give you false misery.

"Yay! Horse did great! I felt great! Oh... but look... we
came 140th out of 144... :("

(This happened to me... a ride that is won in ~4 hours...
it took us over 11 hours to complete. But that was when my
knee blew out and we could only walk or canter, and Provo
and I had a big fight at ~43 miles about whether or not we
would trot. But the satisfaction I had at the end of that
ride was enormous. We finished in the face of adversity.
Provo and I came to an understanding (for that day, at
least <g>). We saw mice and snakes on the trail. Provo
looked *great* at the end of the ride. And we beat the
30 or so people who didn't complete that day.)

Same with NATRC - I quite enjoyed the couple of rides we
did, and was really pleased with how Mouse performed by
*her* standards, but somehow, to end the day with the
announcement that you came 6th out of 6 kind of put a
damper on things <g>. If I did more NATRC rides, I'd
leave before the results. ;-P

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsie AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in Sierra Foothills, California