Re: [RC] pads for Reactor Panel saddle? - Lynne Glazer

Hi, Randi, and nice to see the collaboration by other owners!

Here's the scoop from our company--there are many padding choices for RP saddles.? We prefer to use the “gullet free” pads to free the spine of pressure and promote air flow.? We do offer both Toklat and Skito (no insert) pad sets manufactured to our patterns that many people use successfully.? We’re beginning to carry Mattes pads (sheepskin) for RP saddles.? The Endurance pad will be available soon, as will the sheepskin girth covers.

We find that the need of different pads is based on the individual horse’s movement and sensitivity, rider movement, weather, terrain and, no doubt, other factors.? Some riders in RPs have success with Supracor.? Some use Dixie Midnight.? Others use simple wool blankets, others a felt pad.? Often the above are used with the RP pads, other times without.? We have people that use different padding systems for different horses with the same saddle.

All of the above combinations can be excellent for a particular horse and rider team and detrimental to another.? The most obvious things to watch for no matter what you choose to use are:

-????????? Wither pressure
-????????? Binding causing rubs
-????????? Thin pads bunching up under the panels
-????????? Pad slipping backward under saddle
-????????? Thick pads narrowing your saddles fit
-????????? Excessive heat

Personally, I prop my saddle up on its front end, after riding, and allow my pads to dry while still on the panels. I wash mine every few rides of any significant duration. I haven't had any wear out. My laundry method is to use the pre-soak cycle with a tiny bit of Woolite, then air dry.

I also remove my pads while the saddle is propped up on the front end (don't try this with a newly fit saddle where the discs haven't fully adhered!)--I remove the Velcro tab, pull the back end of the pads off, then lift the saddle and the pads drop free of it.

Feel free to call us or e-mail if you have questions (we'll be in NC, though, Thurs-Sun).

Lisa and Lynne
The ReactorPanel Saddle Co.
1-866-620-8698 (Lisa's direct line)
lisa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx