Re: [AERC-Members] [RC] BLM adoptions at rides. - oddfarm

I know the answers to all your questions about all of my horses. But that
isn't the real issue. Stop skipping around it.

You said,
"Endurance riders are some of the most appropriate
potential owners/users of the BLM wild horse and endurance riding is the
perfect performance sport for these horses." Now, while everyone (yes,
everyone) agrees that mustangs CAN do endurance, they are NOT the top choice
for endurance. I'll bet for every mustang doing endurance, there is 100
Arabs. So how in the heck did you decide that WE were the "most appropriate
potential owners/users of BLM" horses? Because that sure doesn't make any
sense. No one disagrees that this breed, or any breed CAN do endurance. But
ride results dispute your statement. Endurance riding is the perfect
performance sport for Arabs, that is why they excell.

I am all for fundraising. But raffling off animals is never a brainy idea.
Besides, is that really in the best interest of the horse, or the best
interest of AERC? Who's interest comes first? Tell me, is AERC going to get
into the business of finding horses GOOD homes now? Because we can't even
find our way around our own equine welfare. Working on that first, is in the
best interest of the horse, all breeds, now and forever. Isn't that what
AERC is about? This whole adoption/raffle thing leaves a really bad taste in
my mouth.

What exactly will AERC gain by having a few adoptions at a select few rides?
Where can we find and read this "agreement" between AERC and BLM that will
be such a benefit? Will AERC help the ride managers financially at these
select sites? How much will that cost? How exactly will we work together on
trail issues?

Fellow ridecampers, no one (including Heidi) is saying that mustangs are the
bottom of the heap. And it is NOT about the horses themselves. The point of
this thread was that some of us object to participating in the adoption
process for various and valid reasons. We need to concentrate more on our
own humane issues right here at home. And in my opinion, BLM needs to
concentrate more on their own issues, as well. BLM does not need us to bring
people to the adoption sites. They bring in a full house all by themselves.
Cheap horses. What they may be looking for is horse people validating the
adoption process. I would have no objections to that if I knew that they
were also trying to prevent massive, poor breeding. At least, one or the
other.

How come AERC hasn't been able to come up with funds so that we could have a
research team at some of our bigger rides or championship rides? More often
than once in a blue moon? You know, so we could find out more about crashes,
treatment, how to prevent it and educate our members? Our very own HWC could
probably use some funds to be able to prepare better reports, do more in
depth research and  find out and share what we the owners can do to prevent
problems at rides. That would benefit all breeds of horses that are involved
in our sport. Wouldn't it?

I would really like to read this agreement and also hear what Jerry Fruth
thinks about this since he is the trail boss. Maybe between reading the
agreement and comments from Jerry, those of us who object may be able to
make some sense of it all.

You also said, " This outcry by a few people is blown out of proportion
compared to the benefit AERC gains by this association with the BLM"

Please, spell it out, elaborate, convince us ALL so that we may be better
educated. Don't just tell us how hard you worked on it to get the end
result. What is it that math teachers always say? Show me your work and how
you got that answer.

Lisa Salas, The Odd FarM