RE: [AERC-Members] [RC] BLM adoptions at rides. - Campbell David

Ok, enough bashing of mustangs. I have seen some of the worst
confirmation on so called good breed of horses, i.e. thoroughbreds. They
have has so much inbreeding and their conformation is so bad, hundreds
if not thousands of these horses are destroyed each year because they
can't run a mile without breaking down. They also get stone bruises from
running of soft tracks, yes sand is soft and most of the tracks aren't
really that deep, they only look deep. Other registered breeds also have
problems with conformation, bad legs, bad feet, winging out when they
run, no horse sense between the ears.

I will take the conformation of my 5 BLM mustangs over most horses. They
have the conformation that I and my wife look for in a horse. Each
equestrian user has their own beliefs of the conformation that is
correct for their use, and NO ONE can say what perfect conformation is
because perfect conformation doesn't exist.

Pat Parelli, John Lyons, and the other WORLD renown horsemen (not local
yokels or some want-to-be's who cannot even keep their 3 letter
abbreviations) have BLM mustangs and use them in their shows.

Yes there are thousands of wild horses in the west, but at the beginning
of the 20th century, there were 1 million wild horses, all you have to
do is research to find this information.

It is not the fault of the BLM that there are approx. 50,000 wild
horses. They cannot be legally destroyed on governmental public lands
due to the US Congress making it illegal by the Wild Horse Annie act and
or amendments to this act. The BLM problems are our problems. We pay the
taxes that support them and since they are mandated by the US Congress
to take care of public lands and all animals on these lands, they do the
best they can.

Wild animals breed, period. Birth control in wild animals on huge tracts
of land has never worked. The wild horses are collected because the land
cannot support them. However, they have the same right to be there as
the cattle that is grazing on the land, whose owners are only paying
cents on the dollar for the grazing rights (discovery channel).

Mustangs can be gentled by the inexperienced horseman. My very first
horse I ever owned was a wild BLM mustang. In less than 30 days, I (not
some trainer) had him halter broke. In less than 4 months, I had him
saddle broke (and this was before I knew how to ride). He was a 2 y/o
stallion when I got him. Last year, we adopted a 5 y/o stallion and he
was under saddle (by me) and out on the trails in 2 months. Both of
these stallions are gentle and have a sweet disposition. While on trail,
they never have attempted to go after a mare, they have manners and know
their place. Our mares are kept in a connecting pasture with a common
fence and these stallions have never attempted to go thru the fence
(which they could) to get to the mares when they are in season. The
mares took a little longer to gentle (but only by a week or so) and they
are perfect on the trails. They have never attempted to kick out at
another horse or bite any person. Oh by the way, we don't do
walk-abouts; we do endurance and competitive trail. We also have Arabs
and Half-Arabs and the mustangs remember their training faster than
these breeds and other breeds we have experience with.

If anyone wants pictures of my mustangs, just send me an email, I will
send them to you. However if you want to flame me, go ahead, guess what,
I know how to use the delete key.