Re: [RC] Mustangs-Interesting thoughts - Heidi Smith

>From a previous post from Heidi (I do believe)>>" I am sorry to say,the group I saw in Lakeport was a very sorry
bunch.  There was not a one in the herd I was impressed with (granted, many
were babies). I also heard from some folks that they bring the "dregs" of
the roundups to these auctions.  The best are adopted via internet, or go to
the training programs. often for a lot of $ (the Kigers' etc)  "

No, this statement didn't come from me--I believe it came from Karen Sullivan.  But depending on the area where the horses come from, I've likewise seen groups that could be described this way.

And yes, it does take a horseman to see the potential in a horse that is in poor shape or not trained--but a horseman can also recognize the lack of potential when it isn't there.

And again, I'm not among those who have expressed the concern about gentling (although I think it is inappropriate to bring ones not already gentled into the context of an endurance ride)--in fact, as part of my "day job" I deal with kids in therapeutic riding, and three of the most reliable horses in our local program are BLM mustangs.  But quality horses, or athletes?  Hardly.  They are well-trained, well-fed, and well-cared-for--and are some of the poorest conformed horses I work with.  I'm not dissing the folks who have taken the time and effort to adopt and train such horses, if that is what floats their boat.  But I am vehemently opposed to AERC becoming involved in the process.

Heidi