Re: [RC] Mustangs-Interesting thoughts - Doubledal

While I'm sure that not every BLM mustang has perfect conformation, I believe
that the statement that mustangs are some of the "poorest conformed horses"
is uninformed and totally false.  While I'm sure that, like every breed and
type of horse, there are mustangs out there without great comformation, to say
that the majority have horrible conformation is completely ignorant.  In my
nice-looking horses, great movement, and balanced conformation.  From
conversations with other mustang owners, I understand these characteristics
were not
limited to that facility.

Many wild mustangs have to survive in some of the roughest country and and
climate conditions out there.  Due to the laws of natural selection, horses
without straight legs, tough feet, and bodies built to last don't survive to
pass
on their traits.  What's laughable is that with all of our "careful breeding
programs" out there, I can say that I've seen a huge number of poorly conformed
domestic horses in my years of training dressage and endurance horses.

These overgeneralizations about mustangs are irresponsible - I would hate to
see anyone who was considering adopting a mustang as a sport horse be
dissuaded by these uninformed negative opionions.

Karen