[RC] blm mustangs - Ed Kilpatrick

my,my!  those horses probably have at least as much right to roam free out west as all of us damn whites of european descent have to be here!  :-)   blm might not have all the answers, but is the only boat afloat to handle this situation.   not everyone who adopts a mustang is properly equipped to do so.  some of those horses are easier to gentle than others.  not sure if the original post idea was to "raffle off" a gentled horse, or to just let the blm wranglers turn loose a rowdy herd in camp and let those of us who want to, wrassle one down, hogtie it, and take it home!  there are pros and cons to the blm adoption program, and they are working to improve things.
now, i know that my mustang, gorgeous george aint your typical mustang, nor is he your typical success story.  short version of his story is this: captured in nevada as a 5 year old stallion, kept in a holding facility for about one year, adopted out in jacksonville, fl. to some folks in chipley, fl, used as a breeding stallion for 2 seasons, then gelded and "tried to be broken",  sold at auction because, to quote the owner, "tired of getting bucked off!",    rescued by yours truly almost 3 years ago, trained the right way (never even seen him buck!),  did pleasure trail riding, then ctr, then ld, now endurance.  thats my boy, gorgeous george, H34348,  14.3 hh,  1040 lbs.  paid $100 for him.
 i communicate freely with some of the blm directors and field agents at different levels and have been  referred to some adopters who needed assistance with their horses by the blm.   so, yeah, there are some problems with what they do,  but hopefully, experienced horse people like aerc members, can be part of the solution.    happy trails!    ed kilpatrick