[RC] A few more comments on western-style saddles - rides2far

My most > popular
saddles is the $285 Big Horns Roughout line of western cordura
saddles.

Here in Chattanooga there are several large saddle companies (Big Horn,
Crates, American) and LOTS of small operations. Crates is known as the
Cadillac...they don't even talk to the locals. Big Horn will let you peak
at the operation and it's obvious they use all quality materials.
American is a little friendlier, but you find things like a cinch that's
got a thin piece in the leather, or a saddle that's cut out the wrong
direction on the grain of the hide so that it tends to curl, things like
that. I'm glad to hear Big Horn is offering different trees now. I tried
to talk to a guy about them doing that years ago and he just laughed at
me. He said "We ship more of these to Germany than we can produce, why
should we change anything?" I've never ridden their cordura but knew
someone who got one when they first came out and when she got rained on
hard the fender wadded up like a dishrag. Did they come up with a cure
for that?

Today I was picking up a horse a friend bought and the man asked me if I
might be interested in his endurance saddle. I walked around to look at
it. Talk about a piece of crap! The leather felt like cardboard, very
light but with a brittle feel. The pommel was endurance type with no
horn, but the rest of the pattern was from a *big* roping or pleasure
type saddle...square skirts, front & back girth, etc. It was sooo cheaply
made it was pathetic, and since he bought it at a local feed store he
probably paid WAY too much. I'd rather have a very old quality saddle
than a brand new shoddy one.

Oh yeah, and as to using nails to put one together? I had the billets pop
out of an Argentine English saddle as I was coming out of the starting
gates on a training track when I was 17. The horse got up to full speed
before the saddle slipped and the horse dragged me one good stride then
the other billet gave and I tumbled down the track, landed on a metal
stirrup and ended up getting 8 stiches and a scar only my gyno has seen.
:-P When we picked up the billets they had been nailed in with one nail
each!

Angie

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!