[RC] A few more comments on western-style saddles - Linda Cowles

Running a consignment shop frequently means selling someone else's bad purchase.

Honestly?  I'd rather people bought the right saddles the first time around, here or elsewhere!  Here's some more useful information on buying any western style saddle to reduce the risk. I sell many different saddle brands, and like Big Horn because they're economical, offer a variety of trees (7 or 8), have 10 year tree guarantee and dependable quality. There are many good to great saddle brands, but I check each saddle carefully when it comes in the door... doesn't matter if it's, new or used, top-of-the-line or knock-off.

* BRAND - I suggest buying saddles from reputable companies that offer 5 to 10 year tree guarantees. The saddle industry has had it's share of trouble, and off-brand quality has slipped, and some off-brands are 2nds from major saddle makers. Makers like Big Horn have a 10 year tree guarantee for materials and workmanship.  It's uncommon for good trees to crack with normal use, but a brand should stand behind their product.

* CONTRUCTION - Always "palpate" saddle fleece (new or used) carefully for lumps, nails and staples! Manufacturers often temporarily "baste" the saddle together during construction and occasionally forget to remove a staple or nail. I check every Big Horn saddle I stock, and so far found 2 staples out of over 100 saddles, and they were both in the same saddle. Many cheap saddles are stapled or nailed together, and should be avoided as the nails/stables eventually pull out.

* TREE SIZE VARIES - Most large saddle companies buy trees from several companies, so a FQHB tree in a Roper may be different from a FQHB tree in an endurance saddle.

* CHEAP TREES CAN CRACK OR CRUMBLE - Stress-test all trees, but pay particular attention to the edges of cheap brands. If they wiggle - feel chipped or cracked - it's an indication that the resin used for the tree wasn't poured or cured correctly.

* TREE TWIST & WARP - Inspect any tree for warp and twist no matter how pricey the saddle is!  I do this with all saddles, new or consigned. The owner of a top-of-the-line saddle (a $2500+ western show saddle) brought her barely ridden saddle in to sell because  it hurt her horse;  she stood to loose a lot of money by selling it.  When I looked at the bars, they were warped at the back. She got the tree replaced and it fit her horse fine.

* PRICE & QUALITY - A cheap price doesn't indicate an inferior saddle, but cheaper off-brands need to be checked more carefully. My most popular saddles is the $285 Big Horns Roughout line of western cordura saddles. Cheap or not, I haven't found one flaw or defect in the 70 or so that I've had come through here... I check them anyway!  They are unexpectedly comfortable and offer a very secure seat in a light weight (15lb) saddle. I rode one for a 10 hours and it was as comfortable at the end of the day as at the beginning. Bargains like these can be found, but they have limitations or quality compromises to keep the prices down. In this saddle, it's only offered in a QH Bars tree for 14 to 17 inch seats.

  -- Linda

Linda Cowles
Horse 'N Hound
New, Used & Consigned