Re: [RC] Recovery after getting stitches - Lysane Cree

Well, I have been trying to do exactly as he said, its
just the water part that is next to impossible. You
are right - it is the water itself that she is
objecting to. Not sure putting her leg in a bucket
will be easier.
She lets me handle her leg without too much fussing
when I apply Derma Gel (vet's recommendation)2x a day.
Its mostly her hock that is swollen, so maybe I could
just hold an ice pack on her hock for a while (??) The
vet didn't seem too concerned with the swelling except
to say that I should hose her leg to get it down a
little.  I have not been bandaging the leg with the
stitches at all since the vet said not to, but I did
bandage her good leg because that one was swelling too
from holding all her weight.
No, I don't have to give shots - the vet gave her a
double dose of Penicillin and a tetanus booster. I
just
have the gel to apply.

Lysane

--- Sue Singletary <ssingle@xxxxxxx> wrote: > I will
tell y ou from experience do exactly as the
vet says.  I had a horse
that had a cut much the same many years ago.  the
vet wanted to put her down
but I refused.  I did not run water on it we kept it
wrapped and changed the
bandage every other day.   She broke all of the
stitches loose.  We ended up
treating it as an oopen wound.  It was many months
before she was well.
This will be a long drawn out procedure. She might
be objecting to the water
period not just on her leg. Try getting her to stand
in a bucket. I know how
you feel.  Are you having to give shots? I used
Betadine  salve on a nother
horse and it healed much faster.  My vet said no
walking.
I know how you feel about her hurting herself.  I
was several weeks before I
could deal with the bandaging of the wound so I
hauled her to the vet
everyother day.  She would rear up when I tried to
take her in to the
building. He finally told me I was going to have to
quit being a baby and
doctor her at home.

She is now 28 years old and has never done a thing
in her life except be a
pasture potato.  She is a beautiful golden palomino.