Re: [RC] What's in a name? - Heidi Smith

ARRGGHH!!!!!  This fallacy keeps coming up over and over in these
perennial discussions.  Look, FIVE miles can be a serious challenge
for some riders and horses!  But we don't define an athletic challenge
like an endurance ride (or a Marathon) by the lowest common
denominator.  For example, there is the Olympics, and there is the
Special Olympics.  Those folks competing in the Special Olympics are
facing challenges just as tough, *for them*, as those in the regular
Olympics.  But no one says the two are equal.

Joe, you took the words right off of my keyboard.

David, you are somewhat contradictory here--at one point you state that LDs
are challenging for many (and I agree), but you end up by saying that 50s
are no big deal.  All I can do is reiterate what Joe has said--one can't
define the sport (ANY sport) by what those with limitations can or can't do.
One has to draw the line at some sort of performance level.  That level will
be easy for some, difficult for others, and unobtainable to some.  Heck,
maybe if they lowered the baskets a whole bunch and didn't allow other
players within 10 feet of me, I could play in the NBA, too!

I was struck by the contrast at the 5-day between Day 2 when 3 of us slowed
way down and walked the last 20 miles, and I watched two far more athletic
ladies than myself actually walk on the ground much of the time at the same
pace that our horses were walking, and Day 4 (I think it was?) when I was
working instead of riding, and had to walk down to the vet check in Sinker
Canyon due to the road washout, and the horses at a walk were zinging past
me as if I were standing still.  Although I have clawed my way back to doing
50s, I still do not find them "easy" (although I certainly used to!) and
that difference in physical capability certainly underscores why.

There is no need to CALL the LD rides "endurance" in order to appreciate the
efforts of those for whom they are a challenge, or for riders to enjoy the
camaraderie of the sport, or to appreciate their value as a stepping stone
for people who are capable of going and do choose to go further.  They are
what they are, and they are a valuable adjunct to the sport of endurance.
What is wrong with that?

Heidi