Re: [RC] What's in a name - Joe Long

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 21:45:59 -0500, "Ed Roley" <roleyed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I think it was Joe Long who brought up the analogy of marathoners. He was
saying should people who run distances less than 26 miles be called
marathoners? I say no, but people who run 1/2 marathons, 10k's and the like
are none the less "distance runners" as opposed to sprinters, long jumpers,
hurdlers and other track and field participants.

Yep, that's right.

I see the comparison of horse people to track and field participants, flat
track racers to sprinters, hurdlers to hunter jumpers and distance runners to
endurance riders and I include the LD'ers here!

Ah, we too have a term that encompasses endurance rides, LD rides,
CTRs, and all such:  distance riding.  Everyone who competes in
endurance rides, LD rides, competitive trail rides, and similar events
is a distance rider.  Just as all runners who compete in events over a
mile or so long are distance runners.

BTW, I regard Ridecamp as a forum for distance riding, not just a
forum for endurance riding, because we have participants and
discussions of all kinds of distance riding here.

Someone who runs Marathons is a Marathon runner even though he also
does 10Ks, 5Ks and such.  Similarly, a rider who rides endurance rides
doesn't stop being an endurance rider because he also rides LDs!

I am not suggesting changing rules which may encourage increasing injury to
horses. Just to be able to say this is all endurance riding but distances
under 50 have special rules to protect our horses because they are what it is
all about. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ed Roley and Sawyer(my only horse and I'm going to be very careful with him
whether it be 25 or 50 yet we will push to do better every time)

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx