Re: [RC] What's in a name - Heidi Smith

>There have been changes made which now make the "LD's" actually safer for the horse then longer distances(my understanding from this forum).

Safer?  No. But at least no more risky than longer distances.

>Those first shorter distance rides in which horses were hurt were at that time probably considered "endurance" rides(correct me if I'm wrong old timers) but only after seeing the problems of "all out racing" without measures to protect the horses did these rides become "non-endurance" limited distance rides.

Bingo--and that was the point I was trying to make.  It was the removal of the short rides from the endurance designation and making them something else that led to the removal of much of the risk.

>To delve into the difference between LD and endurance with "outsiders" is meaningless

I agree, Ed.  When I tell the lady at the feed store that I'm going to a ride, I tell her that I'm endurance riding, even if I'm only doing an LD.  But *I* as a rider know the difference, and that's the main thing.

Heidi