[RC] gimpy horse - Agilbxr

Ok, I'm begging for help here.  I've got an 8 year old Paso that suddenly went "off" about 4 weeks ago.  He hasn't really been lame, but he's not moving right on his right hind leg.  As far as I can tell, one day he was fine, the next he wasn't. There is no heat or swelling anywhere in the leg, and I would think that if he had a gravel it would have popped through by now.  My farrier didn't see any bruises on his soles when his feet were checked and he hoof tested negative.  He doesn't show any painfullness anywhere from his hip to feet upon pressure from me.  I have called the vet to come out, but she's not able to make it until later in the week.  I was hoping for some input.  At the trot, he's picking the foot up a little higher and not putting down as far forward as the other one.  You can't see that at the walk.  He also, up until last week anyway, was taking his weight off it while standing.  He seems to be resting it normally now.

Any ideas??  I'm at the end of my horse ouchiness knowledge, and I really want to get back riding in this beautiful Florida weather. We kind of thought it was a gravel, but....

Thanks for the input
Juli and Alpine (gimpy palomino gelding)