Re: [RC] Horse Deaths to LD's - Paul Latiolais

There are two ways (I think) people get their horses in trouble:

1)Intermediate riders, who have had some success and want more, not knowing pitfalls, and

2)Experienced riders who only care about winning.

I have only been in this sport for a couple of years and I have only done LD's. But it seems those two types would be easy to distinguish. It would be better for the sport to not have the latter group. The first group is inevitable in any sport.

AS for LD's versus longer rides, it has become increasing obvious to me that the "winning" strategy for LD's (including BC) is very different than for longer rides. The conventional wisdom in endurance is that the top ten riders into the first vet check are not, by in large, the top ten completers. That may be true for the longer rides, but it definitely NOT true for LD's. The successful strategy for LD's could easily get someone's horse in trouble on a longer ride.

It would be easy to do some research on these issues. Who would be willing to find some actual facts, instead of the suppositions we all seem to be working from?

-Paul Latiolais