[RC] overriding and when to pull - firedancefarms

ugh..much as I hate to get into this, but I think a major reason is being overlooked here, and that is the PULL CODES!

I manage two rides a year.  I was vet sec for two rides this year.  I see this firsthand.  People nowadays are a LOT more likely to go on and try to finish a ride because they do not want a pull code splashed all over the world.  Look at it this way:  a rider has a marginal horse. They pass the vet check.  The rider feels very sure they can finish the ride.  Choice?  Get a completion of get a M after your name in EN?
If you don't think this happens, you are wearing rose colored glasses.

What is our main agenda here?  THE SAFETY OF THE HORSE.
And for THE SAFETY OF THE HORSE we should eliminate PUBLIC pull codes.  With that "monkey off their back" people will be more likely to give it up for the day.  Now, I said PUBLIC ....the office can still collect all the data they want.  But DNF goes online and in the EN.
This is not just an issue for sale horses and/or high profile riders.  The people I see most likely to do this are the ones who have ridden their "baby" for miles and do not want to "marr their record".

To make my point a little CLEARER, I will give you two case in point that have happened recently.
1.One rider was having metabolic problems with his/her horse.  They came back to camp, didn't tell a soul, and loaded up their horse and went home.  No one knew until they saw the trailer leave.  They wanted a RO instead of an M on their precious horse's record.

2. Horse did not meet the 30 pulse criteria at the vet check.  He was loaded into a trailer to leave.  The vet was notified and the horse was taken out.  No gut sounds, pulse high.  An accident waiting to happen.  Rider argues with vet for a RO because they are "sick".

Yes, in the CT region we have a very  RULE that all riders must pass a vet check, but at large rides they can slip through the cracks.  And in the end, what does it matter?  You can't MAKE them, as they have already pulled!

LISTEN PEOPLE.  These are REAL INSTANCES that I have been directly involved with (I was right there).  This is directly effecting the HEALTH OF THE HORSE.  And if we are truely for THE HEALTH OF THE HORSE, we will drop these PUBLIC pull codes.  As a Ride Manager, I can send detailed vet information on all horses pulled, but there is no reason a DNF cannot go in EN.

I hope you all will think about this.
Louise

Louise Burton
Firedance Farms Endurance Arabians