Re: [RC] who is captain of the ship - FASTGraphic

In a message dated 10/29/2003 7:01:15 PM Pacific Standard Time,
lanconn@xxxxxxx writes:

<< whatever works for you...AND that particular horse. >>

    What an interesting thread....especially given the title.  Anyone with
successful military experience knows that the "Captain" has many ways to
establish and maintain control.  Sometimes a harsh bark with serious
consequences
known and understood in advance is the requisite method.  Others respond to a
more cooperative and respectful "request."  Still others are so competent and
well trained and intelligent that they will blindly follow - as long as the
leader, the "Captain," is clear and concise and strong and trusted.  Knowing
your
men - whoops - your horse :o) is the first prerequisite of leadership if one
is to Captain a contented and successful team.
    All of this was ancient, rusty knowledge to me until recently - as I am
now working on the training of three amazingly different horses - all talented
and all put together in their own wonderfully unique ways.  My Standardbred,
Solitaire, is in the latter group.  I long ago established a mutual respect
and trust with this horse whose mind is sharp, clear, easily focused, and
enormously willing.  My new Ah-rab, Draco, is only four and requires a lot of
cajoling and convincing.  One of the best leadership skills any Captain can
have is
the ability to convince his or her subordinate that it was their idea!  Draco.
thus far, is such a horse.  But as for our new 4 year old Quarter,
Sundance...well...he needs the occasional barked order and the serious
consequences
routine.
    The ability to be flexible...to adapt...is the key to successful
leadership in ANY situation.  I remember and old ROTC instructor who drilled it
into
our heads over and over again - "KNOW YOUR MEN!"  As I ride and train these
days, his voice comes back with a slightly different wording that I happily
pass
onto Ridecamp - "KNOW YOUR HORSE!"
    My 2 cents...for what it's worth.
:o)