Re: [RC] who is captain of the ship - Barbara McCrary

If we didn't award speed, would the problems go away?  What would happen if we only went out to ride for the pleasure, the experience, and the adventure?  What would happen if AERC did not recognize speed?  Would everyone quite the sport?

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 11:14 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] who is captain of the ship

The thing is, Frank, we do have a problem.  And, since we can't really control these riders, we can control the sport.  This is why I really do believe it's the only answer.  Make some changes to the sport that affects Yahoos who will run their horse into the ground if we let them.  And, trust me, a Yahoo does not have to be an inexperienced rider or one with low mileage.

If we're not willing to accept changes, nothing ever will.  Make it all about the horse; let the horse prove themselves in spite of who owns them and who rides them.  Have it restricted, with a tier system and we will save horse's lives by making the system all about the horse and not about us.  If the members are not willing to make any changes or can't agree on one of them, well, then, might as well get used to 7 equine deaths per year and climbing with outsiders thinking endurance is over the edge we've all been talking about.

My only wish is ya'll keep on open mind about all of this.  Try and decide what types of change you might actually be able to live with before going over the deep end and saying "I'm going to quit if you pass that stupid rule."  No one wants you to quit.  Do you quit being an American if your neighbors elect someone you don't like?  Do you stop voting because a bill doesn't go the way you wanted?  The thing is I really do think changes are coming.  You might want to start deciding which of them you can live with and quit believing nothing's going to change and today's endurance will stay exactly like it is till then end of the millennium.  I don't think that's going to happen.  And, deep down, I bet you don't either.

cya,
Howard