Re: [RC] [AERC-Members] Miinutes of the AERC BoD Conf Call Meeting Online - Heidi Smith

A review of the minutes from the AERC Board of Directors
conference call meeting of 09/16/03 produced some rather
unsettling revelations. Let's take each one separately:

1. John Parke reported on some controversy on the email list
about what Vet Committee reports should look like and John
was asked a question as to whether or not a vet committee
report could be edited at the board level and then sent to
our members.  The answer is no.  There has been a commitment
to pass along the committee reports to the members and they
are expected.  The vet committee reports become part of the
minutes and they will be disseminated as is to the
membership.

Items such as this are quite disturbing to me when I realize
that particular parties are considering that the membership
is not worthy of being privy to all things that arise in the
processes of endurance competition. Just what, and why,
would a vet report contain that should be edited. We have a
sincere need for full explanations of cause and effect, we
do not need censorship.

While "particular parties" may consider the membership unworthy, I do not
find this item unsettling for the specific reason that the inappropriate
question was asked, but the answer was no.  I find that reassuring rather
than unsettling.  ("Particular parties" have tried to raise trouble over
issues and individuals in this sport for years--and it is GOOD to hear them
being told "no!")

2. Another rule change that may arise pertains to a new rule
prohibiting people from receiving placings or competing in
their first couple of months of competition to further
protect the equine.  Discussion will take place at the
midyear meeting, with publication in the magazine for the
membership and voting to follow at the convention.

Does this really mean what it says? "prohibiting people
competing in their first couple of months of competition"?
Now, how does one enter a competition
and participate with out competing? Does this mean that no
matter what, the competitor must finish last? Does it mean
that if I have a well conditioned horse and finish first, I
will be denied my placing because I am not a veteran rider?
What is the meaning of "in their first couple of months"?
One ride? Four rides? 25 miles or 100 miles? Is this every
year for every rider? How would this affect those riders not
regular members of the AERC?

I DO find this one unsettling--and I hope that upon further discussion the
board also has the backbone to say "no."

Heidi