[RC] my first ride, 2 of 2 - Nancy Reed

Yep, Jayla from Riverside County came up to me and said, "Do you need some help?"  I wanted to kiss her, but was still trying to stay seated.  Flame, aka Olympic Flame, her 19 year old Arab gelding is calm and quiet in the face of Lyric's antics.  I start to let myself hope we could do same of the ride.  I thank God for my good fortune and ask for protection and blessings.  Lyric starts to calm down and follows Flame out of camp. As we climb the first hill I am exhilarated by the beauty of the Pamo Valley and heartened by how Lyric is calmer with each footfall. Up the hill and past the ranch house we travel.  As we reach the valley floor heading north, a coyote bounds across our path from the brush. Lyric calmly gazes at the running figure and goes back to her job, getting us down the trail safely.  Yep, all those despooking exercises do work!  Maybe we are going to finish this ride.  About 45 minutes into the ride some photographers are waiting for us on the far side of a 20 foot deep arroyo.  Lyric is sure they are going to kill her and pitches a fit.  Tight circles one way then another.  Flame and Jayla come back to rescue me.  I put Lyric on his butt and she calms down and manages the arroyo without a misstep.  Boy is she worried those women were going to do evil!  The pictures document her worried face, pictures I will cherish for years to come. To make a long story short we finished the ride!  Lyric was not perfect, but she settled down and went to business.  Lyric went up and down all the hills and rode by cattle (they were scary!).  Flame and Jayla kept us on time and in good humor.  Lyric's metabolics were all A's at the vet checks but still would not let the vet check her gums.  She looked good at the finish line after 21 miles.  I hurt everywhere.  Lyric hated those sneaky judges who attempted to hide on the trail and spy on her. She ate, drank, peed and pooped throughout the ride.  We finished, no falls, no crashes and still a lot of horse left at the end.  I was so happy, we did it.

I learned so much from this ride and have a LONG list of things to work on.  For Lyric, it's time to learn to go alone down the trail.  She may need a new saddle (no not that!), but I will see if the synthetic pad was the culprit first. I need to lunge Lyric several times a week, much

to Lyric's dismay.   My cinch needs to be replaced and I've ordered a

mohair one.   I also need to have all my friends and even passersby's

look in her mouth.  For me I must go back to the gym and do sit-ups and push ups along with other forms of torture.  Jayla was so wise when she told me the rider has to be just as fit as the horse.  More important, I have to relearn to ride without leaning to the right.  This is a deep

seated habit, based on holding my reins in my left hand.

I could not have dreamed this was possible without everyone on Ridecamp, all the knowledge, tips and stories. All the stuff about tack, e-lytes, training, and ride stories, etc. I am so thankful for this venue. Ridecamp got me to my first ride.  Jayla and Flame saved Lyric from the "alone" monster and made our completion possible.  I will someday graduate to endurance when Lyric and I are mentally and physically ready.  That will take more training for horse and rider. And more Ridecamp.  Thank you!

Nancy Reed

Lazy J Ranch

Elfin Forest, California

PS I am blessed with a family that not only tolerates a horse crazy mother, but came to my first ride to help and support me.  Daughter Danielle helped with pulse and respirations while hubby Jerry tried his best to get me to eat gruel, as it has served him well for many years on hundreds of mountain bike rides.  Thank you for loving me!