RE: [RC] [RC] [RC] Hawk will be back and Ft. Valley and Automatic Sanctions - john thunder

Thats exactly what happened, they came into the vet check together and one pulsed down a minute faster then the other. Like I said, I really don't have any problem with them racing if thats what they want to do. I do think that when the best riders in the country decide to ride in together at the end of a 50 or 100 rather then abuse their horses that sends a much better message, but that's not what happened here. The problem is that there were too many variables in this situation. Even if the riders could control their own horses if an emergency arose, they had no control over other horses or riders that may not have been as skilled or lucky as the top riders. In the Doncaster Renegade, a very capable rider was thrown from her horse who spooked due to a string hanging from a sponge. The horse then took off down the trail to the street where other capable riders were passing. Some of the secondary horses spooked and either tossed their riders or fell trying to get out of the way. Others were crashed into by the runaway horse. In total, 4 horses were involved and two riders got a helicopter ride because horses are prey animals whose main idea to escape danger ( real or imagined) is to flee! If one horse is running, the rest think they missed the danger and better run also. To set up a finish that guarantees non-competing horses are in the area is asking for trouble. When this race was held up the road at Virginia's the final 'run' was thru a field and up a hill in a more controlled location.

From: "eznet" <qhll@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "john thunder" <broxboy@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <goearth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [RC] [RC] Hawk will be back and Ft. Valley and Automatic Sanctions
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:34:37 -0500

 I was there Saturday, although not at the same time and although I walked
over the finish line, if I were racing I would much rather it was on a nice
smooth two lane road like that than a narrow trail that might have anything
around the next bend. There are traffic laws and as long as the riders keep
right I can't see the problem. They're not going as fast as the average car
and are much less likely to hit a dog or pedestrian. From the back of a
horse a blind hill isn't as blind as it is in a car. The vet check 11/2
miles from the finish reduces the chances of a race as it is unusual for a
number of horses to pulse in at exactly the same time. My guess is that one
rider left first and the other rode hard and caught up at the end.  Libby
Llop