[RC] Awards... - Michael Maul

Actually all the awards were set up long before I came on the scene so all I can provide is guesses. You can do searches thru all the old minutes at the AERC site and that will likely provide the reasons when the board set up the awards.

http://www.aerc.org/Search.asp

There are mileage awards and points awards. I would guess that it was a combination of the awards donor request and the BoD that determined whether it was points or miles for the criteria.

Here are the descriptions of the present awards.

http://www.aerc.org/Membership_Awards_Description.asp

Can the BoD change the criteria? Certainly in the case where the donor or named after isn't around. On the other hand - something like the Perfect 10 award sponsored by Joe Long would have to be approved by Joe.

As far as taking speed out of the equation - I'd hesitate to do that. If you look at horse deaths - I don't think there is an established correlation in other than possibly the high profile rides like the Pan Am.

For example at Tevis this year with 2 deaths - neither rider was pushing their horses.

As far as giving extra points for 100s there is already a significant bonus for riding a 100. It's a 50% bonus and still isn't providing enough motivation to keep the distance from decreasing entries.

Making mileage only the awards criteria makes the awards more available to those able to take the time off and trailer to lots of rides. or who live in an area where there are many rides withing 300 miles.

For example - in my region I compete well in the HW division because I go to a lot of rides. My principal competition for the awards does fewer rides but he wins them...

I enjoy competition and if it were miles alone - the person competing with me would not have a chance.

These are just my thoughts and do not reflect a BoD view.

Mike