Re: [RC] [RC] automatic sanctions - Elite

       I'm of the thought that people aren't doing this to their horses on
purpose.   You just don't spend the kind of time that you have to spend with
an animal to condition for this sport without caring very much for him.
People make mistakes, errors in judgement, and  as they say hindsight is
20/20.   I always hear stories about people helping others that are having
problems out on the trail, sacrificing even their own finishes.   But when
it comes to the ones having problems with their horses in the vet check or
after the ride, we want to punish them in some way.   I've decided that what
I'm going to do the next time I see a horse being watched or getting
treatment is help the rider.   Maybe make sure that they get their dinner
(out beside the horse they are watching), make a pot of coffee for them, or
even sit and watch the horse for them while they get a couple hours of sleep
(because they may need to drive to a vet facility in the morning).   They
can figure out the why's in the morning... but right now I'm sure they are
feeling pretty bad and might appreciate some understanding company, instead
of being treated like they have the plague.
   Ok Truman... I have an idea for you.   No new rules, no automatic
sanctions, no changes in yearly awards.   New way to look at this.  The
entire field starts every ride as a team, (ride to win, top ten, or
complete, whatever) but the main objective being that every rider and horse
finishes healthy.   If not, we work as a team to take care of those that
didn't.   We take turns sitting up with that rider and horse, and help with
whatever they need.   In the process we get an up close look at what that
horse (and rider) are going through (what an eye opener).   I think this
would be some of the best education a rider could have and may encourage
them to seek more education.    Only (unwritten) rule is... that night, no
accusations, no gossiping, just support for that horse and rider.  Like
others have said, they are being hard enough on themselves already.

Linda Klingerman